Monday, January 18, 2010

The look on there face was enough

Today was the first day I did New York cares, I was extremely excited to finally start on the things I really wanted to do. Which is help out people, I was so excited that I left my apartment at 8:00 giving me plenty of time to find the center that I was suppose to be at, at 9:15 I ended up finding it at 8:15 so I messed around the neighborhood for an hour. That was very nice because I found a lot of neat shopping that I went to later on in the day. So now its 9:15 and people are starting to arrive and I am meeting some amazing people. First off the thing I was helping out with is called Achilles kids and I met the lady that started it her name was Karen and she had ms but she was amazing. She had ran the new York marathon in crutches and had the motivation of someone that was a pro athlete. What we do at Achilles kids is play games with kids with disabilities to get them exercising without them really knowing they are exercising. At first I was kind of nerves due to the fact I get a little uncomfortable when it comes to being around mentally handicap people. But I am very glad I did this event not only to help me with this problem I have but it opened my eyes to how much these kids needed this. Just seeing the way they would respond when they started running the race and getting to the end was enough to satisfy me. Karen told me that the transformation these kids make while doing this program is phenomenal. Every single one of those kids had amazing personalities and I wanted to spend the whole day with them unfortunately it was only three hours. Then once noon came I headed back to the apartment and worked out. It was a great day filled with amazing people that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool you got involved in something out of your comfort zone....it's not easy to do. I felt the same way you did at the end, I wished I could have hung out with the kids all day. I admire your passion for these projects and am excited for the rest of your journey up here in New York. Just think of how many more amazing people you will meet!

    ReplyDelete