Monday, January 18, 2010

Exhausted

So today I woke up at 10:50 and I was kind of mad because it felt like I slept my day away but at the same time it felt like 7:00 am. I went and had a really great workout at my gym and got out of there around 1 then did some laundry and got ready to start my day. We went to the Roosevelt Island tram, which was very neat to go over the river and see the city from above. But it did take us 30 minutes to get there and 30 seconds on the actual tram. Then after we did that we took an extremely long way to get to the next subway and then once we even got in the subway we still had a maze to go threw. Then we headed to see the art galleries in Chelsea but they were closed probley due to Martin Luther King day. Then we headed back to the apartment and now I am getting things done. I am doing laundry and planning the rest of my time here in New York out so I can get things done that I need to. Plus I am going to bed at around 8 because I am dead tired and don’t feel good.

 

Much love

 

Mariah

2 comments:

  1. For the record, the Tram ride is four minutes, not 30 seconds.

    I live on Roosevelt Island and ride it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something here to actually think about...the difference in pace and perspective. I find it interesting that as a city of 9 million where everything moves so quickly, there are so many more days when I am living in the city that I get so much less accomplished than when I am in SD when it comes to work.

    However, when it comes to personal relationships, I spend so much more quality time with friends when I am in the city.

    My father once made the observation that when I graduated from college (SDSU - about 9,000 students) I knew everyone, and I really did know many, many, may of them. When my sister graduated (U of M 67,000) she only had about 5 friends. As the outside world gets bigger, one's individual world becomes smaller.

    So what do you prefer? I have to admit, last year, I quit going to the grocery store in Sioux Falls. It took too long. I know too much of the population. I either grew up with you, went to college with you, taught your child, taught you, worked with you.... And as charming and lovely as everyone is, the conversation seemed to be like a scene out of Groundhog Day - weather, health, and job. I crave the longer windows we need to process relationships and thoughts. This is what makes us truly the most loyal and appreciative of people that I have every known.

    On the other hand, four of my dearest friends live in nyc. When we are together, we never speak of weather or health. Job - sometimes but it typically is what we are interested in right now and where that is going to take us. Instead we talk about art, politics, and love (who,what, where is filling our creative and spiritual heart). Because the city around us is forever moving, when I am with these friends we are frozen in one place and all the focus goes on one another. The talks last for hours.

    I love the fact that I am allowed to balance both of these worlds. So, Mariah, I understand that the tram only seemed like 30 seconds. As SDakotas, we like a longer ride because that is how we form relationships and digest the big questions.

    ReplyDelete