Sunday, January 24, 2010

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound

Today was a day I will never forget. I had new york cares this morning at the Rivington house and I am sure you might not know what that is because heck I didn’t know either but it’s a home for people that have been suffering from HIV and what we did was simply just hang out with them. I cant even explain to you how much this ment to me but when I think about how much it means to the people in the house it blows my mind. When I first got there we helped serve donuts and tea and coffee. They all where so nice and then after that was all done we just played games and talked. Well see I started playing trouble with a group of people showing them how to play and getting things started and then I just let them play and watched. When I heard someone say “Hey baby girl you want to see my grand baby” I turned around to see a little Latino man (quit handsome for his age) sitting in a wheelchair. I say of course I do and we sit down and he pulls out a envelope full of photos. We start going threw them one by one and he slowly starts to tell me about his life which to me sounded crazy and when I say crazy I mean gangs and fights and drugs and women and I wasn’t for sure how to handle this man. But I could tell he loved talking about it in fact I think that’s all he ever wants is to talk and for someone to listen. And that’s exactly what I did I sat there and listened to Louis talk to me about his life for 3 hours. I never wanted to leave him I wanted to learn more I wanted to spend the day heck I wanted to know everyone in that room. But the program came to an end and he had to go to church. He asked so nicely if he could skip because he really wanted to keep talking to me but they told him he had to go now. So he did and before he got onto that elevator he told me that I better come back next week and we can take a picture together. I never got to tell him I wont be back and this broke my heart. As the elevator doors closed I tried my best to hold back my tears. But as soon as I got out of the building I started bawling and I called my mom and I couldn’t say anything I just told her I was sad and she wasn’t going to understand heck I don’t understand but it was one of the hardest things I have had to do. I loved it so much and I want to go back so bad I want Louis to finish his story with me. But that cant happen joining new york cares was amazing but the policy of not being able to talk to people outside of the program is so hard. Because this man truly impacted my life and I wish we could stay in touch. Louis is dying slowly of HIV and I wouldn’t give him to much longer to live but who knows that old man seemed pretty darn tough. After I left the home I spent the rest the day by myself and for some reason could not quit humming the song amazing grace it just popped in my head out of know where. I will never forget this day as long as I live or Louis. 

1 comment:

  1. When we get home, I want to introduce you to a couple of my friends living with HIV in Sioux Falls. They would welcome your advocacy! Also, remind me to give you a copy of The Quilt, the one act about South Dakotans who are living with or who have been affected by HIV and AIDS. I think you may have found your passion Mariah...be the voice of understanding and change.

    ReplyDelete